Actinia, an Art Deco opalescent glass vase by René Lalique (1860-1945). Raised, swirling pattern in graduated blue green opalescence with a peach coloured tint. Etched 'R Lalique France' to underneath. Photographed with different light exposure to show opalescence.
René Jules Lalique (French, 1860–1945) was a renowned jeweller and master glassmaker. As one of the leading figures of the Art Nouveau and Art Deco movements Lalique’s legacy, artistic heritage and elegant style are still admired and enjoyed today. Born in the Marne region of France, Lalique trained as a goldsmith, and later attended the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs de Paris. In 1885, he established his own company in Paris where he began making jewellery and other glass objects. His naturalistic approach, specifically seen in his brooches and combs, gained him widespread acclaim at the Paris international exhibition in 1900. Taking inspiration primarily from the female form, Lalique’s figures are represented with flowing hair and elaborate drapery. His rural upbringing sparked his interest in flora and fauna, designing objects with animals – specifically snakes and insects and combining this with relatively few precious stones. In 1910, he established a glass factory in Combs-la-Ville, France, and, in 1918, he purchased a larger factory at Wingen-sur-Moder. An order for perfume bottles led to the development of his signature style, characterized by iced surfaces, elaborate or partially realistic patterns in relief, and occasionally applied or inlaid colour. His relief decoration was produced by blowing into moulds or by pressing. These new designs were shown at the Paris International Exhibition in 1925. By the time of his death in 1945 Lalique was a jeweller, a glassmaker and an artist. But his greatest accomplishment was in combining those talents with foresight and innovation, not just to serve markets, but to create them. He passed his company and legacy down to his son Marc Lalique.
Literature: Marcilhac Catalogue Raisonné de L’Oeuvre de Verre p.462
Dimensions: H 22cm, D 19.5cm
Date: circa 1935
Item No: 1403234